Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Disappointing Film

I finally got to watch "The Hobbit:  An Unexpected Journey" last night . . . and I was underwhelmed.

By the end of the film I knew something about only one of the Dwarves (Thorin Oakenshield).  Sure, the other Dwarves were introduced by name (often in groups) at the start . . . but after that I learned nothing about any of them.

So unlike the Fellowship of the Ring, by the end of the film most of this fellowship remain ciphers.  We only know Bilbo, Gandolph and Thorin.

I also found the constantly moving camera POV (point of view) to be very distracting.  And the "Chase/Battle/Action" scenes reminded me of those in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" . . . which is not a good thing.

Now I did read "The Hobbit" . . . but that was close to fifty years ago so I don't recall much.  Maybe a re-read prior to seeing the film would have helped . . . but why should that be necessary?

It seems that "action" and "spectacle" are now supposed to take the place of "character" and "story" . . . which I find to be very sad.

I was so looking-forward to seeing this film; and, yes, I was entertained; but I came away feeling empty and unfulfilled. 

"The Hobbit:  An Unexpected Disappointment".

-- Jeff

6 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

Thanks for the candid review, Jeff. You know, when our Right Honourable PM sold our sovereignty to Warner Bros for a mess of pottage, I was already disenchanted with the thing. The news that it would be made into three movies went much further into inducing in me a profound indifference in whether or not I shell out the dough to see the thing on the big screen.

You know: I would have thought that Mr Jackson would have been just the person to adapt the story well to the screen. It could have been done as a single 120-150 minute movie, I believe, but two movies: all right. Three... nah.

I haven't seen the thing, what I already know about it has put me right off. When it comes to the small screen I'll probably see it, but I'm not that fussed. If at the time 'The Big Bang Theory' is on the other side, I'll be watching that. Brilliant show.
Cheers,
Ion

tradgardmastare said...

I did enjoy it and am vexed for you that you did not...

A J said...

I haven't yet seen the movie, although my wife has and was similarly underwhelmed. I also think three movies from one slim book is going too far, however much I respect Jackson as a director. His LotR is superb, and I really enjoyed Tintin. Oh well, "Even the good Homer nodded off sometimes..."

Benjamin of Wight said...

Not seen it yet myself, but it appears to be like Marmite (Vegemite for the upsidedown people); love it or loath it and nothing in between...

Chef du Whip said...

I was sure nothing coud be more boring than a pair of Hobbits with a ring, wrong!

A gaggle of Dwarves seemingly without purpose wins hands down in the yawn stakes. I agree with the Bear it was not a particularly gripping film, Hugo wins hands down.......

Keith Flint said...

I'm glad someone else was reminded of Indiana Jones. Agree wholeheartedly - I guess in Hollywood vs Oxford don, Hollywood had to win.